Friday, September 19, 2008


Thursday Morning Mix: Playlist, Episode 9198

Patty Griffin, "Get Yourself Another Fool" (live) Live From the Artist's Den
Joe Pug, "Hymn #101" Nation of Heat EP
Los Lobos, "Saint Behind the Glass" (live, acoustic) Acoustic en Vivo
Amy LaVere, "Pointless Drinking" Anchors & Anvils
Rodney Crowell, "Sex & Gasoline" Sex & Gasoline
Derailers, "Guaranteed to Satisfy" Guaranteed to Satisfy
TBone Burnett, "River of Love" TBone Burnett
BB King, "See That My Grave is Kept Clean" One Kind Favor
Buddy & Julie Miller, "You Make My Heart Beat Too Fast" Love Snuck Up
Laura Marling, "You're No Good" Alas I Cannot Swim
M Ward, "Radio Campaign" Transistor Radio
Okkervil River, "Calling and Not Calling My Ex" Stand-Ins
Robert Earl Keen, "Broken End of Love" What I Really Mean
Charlie Louvin, "Love At Home" Steps to Heaven
Sacred Shakers, "Jordan is a Hard Road to Travel" Sacred Shakers
The Youngers, "Heritage" Heritage
Bonnie Raitt, "You" Longing in Their Hearts
Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson, "Jackson Hole" Rattlin' Bones
Danielle Talamini, "Road Rises" The Road Rises
Michael Holland, "Lesley Riddle" Simple Truths and Pleasures
Calexico, "Victor Jara's Hands" Carried to Dust
Lila Downs, "Minimum Wage" Shake Away
Volebeats, "One I Love" Country Favorites
Blitzen Trapper, "Furr" Furr
Cicada Omega, "Big Black Chain" These Bones
Golden Smog, "Love & Mercy" Stay Golden, Smog
Mary Gauthier, "Mercy Now" Mercy Now
Todd Snider, "Dividing the Estate" Peace Queer
One Horse Shy, "Honey in My Tea" One Horse Shy

Proving that there's something for everybody: I discovered a copy of Charlie Louvin's new Steps To Heaven in the discard pile at my station. That's understandable. To some, if you're not familiar with Charlie's rich history and rare influence, his album of gospel standards just sounds like Grampa. Since I didn't have a chance to preview it, I took a risk and set the proverbial needle down on track one (generally a safe bet). I was disappointed to hear a very subdued and straight rendering of "Love At Home". Oh well, I thought, we'll just move on. While it's by no means a bad track, it brought back memories of my childhood at the First United Methodist Church in Grants Pass, Oregon, sitting in the back pew behind the older man with remarkable ear hair ...

At the end of the show I received a nice call from a listener who said she loved my show. Oh, and what was that Charlie Louvin song I played about halfway thru the set? It brought her to tears.

until then,
Scott


No comments: