Sunday, November 29, 2009


THURSDAY MORNING MIX
November 26, 2009
Scott Foley


Think I've got the dates down for my year-end favorites episodes. We're looking at December 10 for an airing of my favorite americana, alt.country and roots music songs. I'll unleash my favorite albums on December 31, New Year's Eve. And on January 21, I'll make a stab at my favorite albums of the decade.

I actually went through my collection this morning to see if I could put together a decade-end list I could stand behind. I simply ran my finger along the shelves, and pulled out anything that could conceivably fall onto such a roster. At this point, I have about 30 CDs sticking out from their respective shelves. From time to time, I'll walk by and poke one back into its place, or pull one out that merits consideration.

One difficulty I'm encountering is that I'd like to limit myself to just one album per artist for my decade list. So will it be Okemah or this year's stellar American Central Dust if I'm to go with a bit of Son Volt (and who'd blame me?). Steve Earle could arguably have three oughts albums under consideration, while I'm wondering if a few of my favorite artists (Richmond Fontaine, Old 97s, Lyle Lovett) even have one. Ryan Adams' entire solo catalog falls after 2000.

While I've made my first and second passes at a year-end albums list, I have yet to commit anything to paper by way of favorite songs. At this point, it seems all I can do to put together my TMM playlists every week ...

* Mary Gauthier, "Thanksgiving" Between Daylight and Dark (Lost Hwy, 06)
* Iris Dement, "Let the Mystery Be" Infamous Angel (Rounder, 92)
* Jay Farrar & Ben Gibbard, "California Zephyr" One Fast Move Or I'm Gone (Atlantic, 09)
* Dave Rawlings Machine, "Sweet Tooth" Friend of a Friend (Acony, 09)
^ Dog Roses, "Let the Bottle Take the Heartache Away" Just Another Saturday (Self, 09)
* Luther Dickinson, "Let It Roll" Onward & Upward (Merless, 09)
* Kris Kristofferson, "The Pilgrim: Chapter 33 (live)" Essential Kris Kristofferson (Columbia, 04)
* Shannon McNally, "Lovely" Coldwater (Self, 09)
* Rosanne Cash, "Heartaches By the Number" The List (Manhattan, 09)
* Hem, "(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" Almost You: Songs of Elvis Costello (Glurp, 03)
* Old 97s, "Big Brown Eyes" Too Far To Care (Elektra, 97)
* Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle, "Officer Down" Let's Just Stay Here (Mint, 09)
* Lissie, "Little Lovin'" Why You Runnin' (Fat Possum, 09)
* Richmond Fontaine, "We Used To Think the Freeway Sounded Like a River" We Used To Think the Freeway Sounded Like a River (El Cortez, 09)
* Loudon Wainwright III, "Suddenly It's Christmas (live)" Career Moves (Virgin, 03)
* Robert Earl Keen, "Rose Hotel" Rose Hotel (Lost Hwy, 09)
* Kasey Chambers, "Sometimes" Kasey Chambers, Poppa Bill and the Little Hillbillies (Liberation, 09)
* Bap Kennedy, "Cold War Country Blues" Howl On (Lonely St, 09)
* Jerry Jeff Walker, "I Feel Like Hank Williams" Live at Gruene Hall (Tried & True, 89)
* Carrie Rodriguez, "Seven Angels On a Bicycle (live)" Live in Louisville (Luz, 09)
* Creekdippers, "Hummingbird" Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers (Koch, 97)
* Cory Chisel & Wandering Sons, "Born Again" Death Won't Send a Letter (Black Seal, 09)
* Lyle Lovett, "Bayou Song" Natural Forces (Curb, 09)
* Ryan Adams, "Damn Sam (I Love a Woman That Rains)" Heartbreaker (Bloodshot, 00)
* Patty Griffin, "Long Ride Home" 1000 Kisses (ATO, 02)
* Drew Kennedy, "Room #27" An Audio Guide To Cross Country Travel (Self, 09)
* Brave Combo, "Thanksgiving Day" Holidays (Rounder, 05)

No comments: