Wednesday, November 30, 2011

(not) ROUTES & BRANCHES
Wednesday Morning Mix
November 30, 2011
Scott Foley

I received my first "I hate you for playing Christmas music" call today.  It came right after the call from the older guy who thanked me for playing Neil Young and commented on the "young punks" with whom I typically populate my playlists.   Does it matter that they were both fellow programmers?  Did I ever claim to want to make everyone happy?

No.  And this is why I value my opportunity to compile and air my year-end favorites list this time every year.  I've already seen at least a couple similar lists from bloggers of all stripes, most calling it the Year's Best.  While there will always be some overlap, I consider my own favorites lists a success if there's a smattering of the unheralded alongside stuff that will appear on others' lists.  I can look at the lists from two fairly reputable sources (for instance, Paste and Amazon) and what sits near the top of one list is nowhere to be seen on the next.  It's all so subjective.

Except for last year, when Robert Plant's Band Of Joy was at the tip-top of lists of all sorts, including mine.

So join me this Saturday for Routes & Branches, when I'll garner even more hatred for playing holiday music by young punks.  I have lots.  And set aside some time on Saturdays December 31 and January 7, when I'll debut my year-end favorite songs and albums, respectively.  It's bound to ruffle your musical feathers or I'm not doing my job here ...

*  Lucky Peterson, "I'm New Here"  You Can Always Turn Around  (Dreyfus, 10)
*  Ryan Bingham, "Depression"  Junky Star  (Lost Hwy, 10)
*  Decemberists, "I4U & U4 Me"  Long Live the King  (Capitol, 11)
*  Dave Sonner, "Can't Make Her Change"  American Campus  (Self, 11)
*  Will Hoge, "Nothing To Lose"  Number Seven  (Ryko, 11)
*  Alabama Shakes, "You Ain't Alone"  Alabama Shakes EP  (Self, 11)
*  Grace Potter, "Naughty Naughty Children"  internet single  (Hollywood, 11)
*  Constitution, "Roserita"  Wrestling With Daylight  (Self, 11)
*  Bob Dylan, "Forgetful Heart"  Together Through Life  (Columbia, 09)
*  Black Keys, "Sister"  El Camino  (Nonesuch, 11)
*  Etta James, "Champagne and Wine"  Dreamer  (Verve, 11)
*  Hollyfelds, "2am"  Black Heart Blue  (Self, 09)
*  Milk Carton Kids, "I Still Want a Little More"  Prologue  (Self, 11)
*  You Me & Apollo, "Coming Home"  Cards With Cheats  (Self, 11)
*  Elvis Costello, "My All Time Doll"  Secret Profane & Sugarcane  (Hear, 09)
*  Garth Hudson w/Neil Young & the Sadies, "This Wheel's On Fire"  Canadian Celebration of The Band  (Curve, 10)
*  Lyle Lovett, "Baby It's Cold Outside"  Songs For the Season  (Lost Hwy, 11)
*  Crooked Fingers, "Solitary Man"  Reservoir Songs Vol 1  (Merge, 02)
^  Joe Pug, "Nobody's Man (live)"  Live At Lincoln Hall  (Self, 11)
*  Megafaun, "Resurrection"  Megafaun  (Hometapes, 11)
*  Quiet American, "Black Jack Daisy"  Quiet American Vol 2  (Self, 11)
*  Dawes, "How Far We've Come"  Nothing Is Wrong  (ATO, 11)
*  Bearfoot, "Come Get Your Lonesome"  American Story  (Compass, 11)
*  Craig Finn, "Honolulu Blues"  Honolulu Blues  (Vagrant, 11)
*  Heartless Bastards, "Sway"  Mountain  (Fat Possum, 09)
*  Ry Cooder, "Quick Sand"  Pull Up Some Dust and Sit Down  (Nonesuch, 11)
*  Tom Waits, "New Years Eve"  Bad As Me  (Anti, 11)

No comments: