Thursday, December 08, 2011

Routes & Branches
December 10, 2011
Scott Foley

For this Very Special Episode, I focused on the music of our faire state, airing tunes from my favorite Colorado albums of 2011.  Just between you and me, I pre-recorded the thing so that, by the magic of radio, I could also attend my wife's company holiday party (and have a chance at winning something Big and Expensive).  Apparently, this is how real radio folks produce their programs nowadays.  I'm much more content to be fumbling around live on-air, so probably won't be resorting to lies and smokescreens again soon.  At least not on the radio.

In the meantime, this means an early holiday present from me.  Colorado Sound host Chris K emailed me five pages worth of Colorado music releases from November 2010 thru November of this year, some of which I hadn't given more than a quick listen, others that have carved out a pretty regular place on my playlists.  Five pages.  Nevertheless, I've cobbled the whole unruly thing down to a truly ruly list, the fruits of which you'll hear on Saturday (in addition to me, banging around in an unfamiliar studio with alien controls in all the wrong places and headphones that were way too big even for my head, most likely made for two people to use simultaneously).  Regardez:

My Favorite Colorado Albums Of 2011

1)  Great American Taxi, Paradise Lost
2)  Patti Fiasco, Patti Fiasco
3)  Lizzie Huffman, Pretty Old Soul
4)  Turn 4, Turn 4
5)  Bare Bones, Bare Bones
6)  You Me & Apollo, Cards With Cheats
7)  Mosey West, Vaca Money
8)  Hickman Dalton Gang, Vol 2
9)  Ghost Of Michael Clark, Bound To Break
10) Surplus Cheaper Hands, It's Your Parade
11) Kentucky Parlor Pickers, Barn Burner
12) Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Unentitled
13) Broken Spoke, Before There Were Easy Riders
14) Quiet American, Vol 2
15) Honey Gitters, Poor Gitters' Almanack
16) Bonnie & the Clydes, Bonnie & the Clydes
17) Haunted Windchimes, Live At the Western Jubilee
18) Devotchka, 100 Lovers
19) Bonnie & the Beard, Bonnie & the Beard
20) Cahalen Morrison & Eli West, Holy Coming Of the Storm

These were aired in no particular order, and were interspersed with some various and sundry new stuff and holiday fun.  This includes two more trax from the Guy Clark tribute I celebrated last week, and my favorite new holiday track (so far), courtesy of My Morning Jacket.  The Playlist:

*  Kathleen Edwards, "Sidecar"  Voyageur  (Rounder, 12)
*  Lindi Ortega, "All I Want For Christmas Is a Cowboy"  Tennessee Christmas  (Self, 11)
*  Broken Spoke, "High Water Mark"  Before There Were Easy Riders  (Self, 11)
*  Longest Day Of the Year, "Bury Books With Bone"  Turn Into the Ground  (Self, 12)
*  Michelle McAfee, "Poetry Of Life"  Up In the Air  (Awake Now, 11)
*  Bare Bones, "Come In / Stay Out"  Bare Bones  (Self, 11)
*  Bonnie & the Clydes, "Make Up Your Mind"  Bonnie & the Clydes  (Self, 11)
*  Dale Watson, "Elbow Grease Spackle and Pine Sol"  Sun Sessions  (Red House, 11)
*  Lizzie Huffman, "Heavy Hearts"  Pretty Old Soul  (Suburban Home, 11)
*  Quiet American, "Talk Is Cheap"  Vol 2  (Self, 11)
*  James McMurtry, "Cold Dog Soup"  This One's For Him  (Icehouse, 12)
*  Slim Cessna's Auto Club, "My Last Black Scarf"  Unentitled  (Alt Tentacles, 11)
*  Surplus Cheaper Hands, "Baby It's Gonna Be Your Year"  It's Your Parade  (Self, 11)
*  Jessica Lea Mayfield, "Little Toy Trains"  My Favorite Gifts  (Ramseur, 11)
*  Patti Fiasco, "Bottle Of Wine"  Patti Fiasco  (Self, 11)
*  Ghost Of Michael Clark, "Thunder & Light"  Bound To Break  (Blank Tape, 11)
*  Haunted Windchimes, "Wanderin' Heart"  Live At the Western Jubilee  (Blank Tape, 11)
^  Great American Taxi, "Gonna Make a Record"  Paradise Lost  (Self, 11)
*  You Me & Apollo, "Oh Brother"  Cards With Cheats  (Self, 11)
*  Rosanne Cash, "Better Days"  This One's For Him  (Icehouse, 12)
*  Kentucky Parlor Pickers, "Loverboy"  Barn Burner  (Self, 11)
*  Devotchka, "Bad Luck Heels"  100 Lovers  (Anti, 11)
*  Mosey West, "Cold Prediction"  Vaca Money  (Self, 11)
*  Turn 4, "What You Do About It"  What You Do About It  (Fuck All Y'all, 11)
*  Madison Violet, "If I Could Love You"  Good In Goodbye  (True North, 11)
*  Bonnie & the Beard, "Money Honey"  Bonnie & the Beard  (Self, 11)
*  Cahalen Morrison & Eli West, "Lost Lovin' Gal"  Holy Coming Of the Storm  (Self, 11)
*  White Buffalo, "Pilot"  Lost and Found EP  (Unison, 11)
*  Honey Gitters, "Diamond In a Bag"  Poor Gitters' Almanack  (Self, 11)
*  My Morning Jacket, "When the Bells Start Ringing"  iTunes Holiday Sessiono  (iTunes, 11)

No comments: