ROUTES & BRANCHES
September 15, 2012
There is something genuine about Chris Knight's alt.country. His songs speak of hard luck and old trucks, sung in a gruff voice that falls between John(ny Cougar) Mellencamp and Robert Earl Keen on the spectrum. In one song, he calls himself, "a bring it on, get 'er done, don't run SOB", a sentiment that you can imagine spouting from any of a dozen mainstream country sorts. Thing is, while these hats go back to big houses and big paychecks, Chris Knight may be going back to his trailer. Again, a genuine sort. He is among the strongest alt.country songwriters, but doesn't garner near the praise of flashier types with half his talent. Not typically one to hobnob, Knight's 8th album features guest spots from John Prine, Buddy Miller, Dan Baird, Tammy Rogers and more.
Also this week, a remarkably good sophomore disc from Dallas band Somebody's Darling, as well as promising new singles from both Wanda Jackson and Rosie Flores. Finally, looking forward to hearing the full album from JoJo Hermann's Missing Cats (Hermann hails from Widespread Panic).
Thanks to all who contributed during this Episode's fundraising opportunity. Thanks, too to all who followed suit throughout the week. Since KRFC's drive draws to a close Saturday evening at 8, you'll still have a chance to support R&B on Saturday, 9/22. Call us at (970)221-5075, or pledge online at krfcfm.org.
* Kasey Chambers, "Happy Woman Blues" Storybook (Sugar Hill, 12)
* Lucinda Williams, "Sharp Cutting Wings" Happy Woman Blues (Smithsonian, 80)
* Wanda Jackson, "Tore Down" Unfinished Business (Sugar Hill, 12) D
* Somebody's Darling, "Cold Hands" Jank City Shakedown (Self, 12) D
* Bob Schneider, "40 Dogs (Romeo & Juliet)" Lovely Creatures (Kirtland, 09)
* Chris McGarry, "Bare Bright Halos" Bare Bright Halos (Self, 12)
* American Aquarium, "Cape Fear River" Burn Flicker Die (Last Chance, 12)
* Son Volt, "Picture" The Search (Legacy, 07)
* Avett Brothers, "Pretty Girl From Michigan" Carpenter (American, 12)
* Gun Street Ghost, "Block of Stone" One Home (Self, 12)
* Steve Earle, "Another Town" Transcendental Blues (Artemis, 00)
* Rosie Flores, "Working Girl's Guitar" Working Girl's Guitar (Bloodshot, 12) D
* Janis Martin, "Walk Softly On This Heart Of Mine" Blanco Sessions (Cow Island, 12)
* Leftover Salmon, "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" Nashville Sessions (Hollywood, 99)
* Patterson Hood, "Better Off Without" Heat Lightning Rumbles In the Distance (ATO, 12)
* Tift Merritt, "Still Not Home" Traveling Alone (Yep Roc, 12)
^ Chris Knight, "Low Down Ramblin' Blues" Little Victories (Drifter's Church, 12)
* Robert Earl Keen, "Blow You Away" Bigger Piece of Sky (Sugar Hill, 93)
* Missing Cats, "Larry Brown Amen" Larry Brown Amen (Self, 12) D