Thursday, December 13, 2012


ROUTES & BRANCHES
December 8, 2012
Scott Foley

On Saturday, December 15, I'll begin the season's barrage of favorites lists for my radio shows.  In preparation, I've spent much of my screen time browsing the lists of others who have made their opinions public.  The rest of my screen time I spend trolling for new holiday music ...

As of this writing, I do have my lists verging on complete.  I've already submitted my list of Colorado music, which I'll air on my Thursday Morning Mix program on January 3 from 10-noon (MT).  This Saturday, I'll debut my favorite R&B songs for 2012.  At this point, I'm proud that my own list looks little like any other I've seen online.  I'm certain that it'll be upended at least a couple times before I finally air the thing - the radio equivalent of putting it in stone. 

This week, we hear a rocking new original holiday single from JD McPherson, as well as a cover of an Eddy Arnold Christmas classic by Chuck Mead.  We dig a bit into the forthcoming Fiction Family offering, fronted by Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek fame - an infectious blend of indie pop and roots styles.  It will surprise nobody that Sara Watkins shows up on a number of tracks.  Rachel Brooke is also on tap, her new Killer's Dream album getting some high praise from online sources. 


*  Doug Sahm, "Nitty Gritty (live)"  Last Real Texas Blues Band  (Soundcarrier, 12)   D
*  Ryan Adams, "Shining Through the Dark (live)"  This is 40  (Capitol, 12)   D
*  Sarah Gayle Meech, "No Angel"  One Good Thing  (Self, 12)
*  John Fullbright, "Jericho"  From the Ground Up  (Blue Dirt, 12)
*  Legendary River Drifters, "Death Letter"  Dirtier Harryer  (Self, 12)
*  JD McPherson, "Twinkle (Little Christmas Lights)"  internet single  (Rounder, 12)   D
*  Blue Mountain, "I'm Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes"  Roots  (Black Dog, 01)
*  Dwight Yoakam, "3 Pears"  3 Pears  (Reprise, 12)
*  Lori McKenna, "All It Takes"  Heart Shaped Bullet Hole  (Self, 12)
*  Emmylou Harris, "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem"  Light of the Stable  (Rhino, 92)
*  Gromet, "Skip Your Stone"  Barren  (Self, 13)
*  Yarn, "Shake This Thing"  Leftovers Vol 2  (Ardsley, 12)
*  Lucinda Williams, "Kiss Like Your Kiss"  Blessed  (Lost Hwy, 11)
*  Gun St Ghost, "I Never Learned Karate"  One Home  (Self, 12)
*  Truckstop Darlin', "Don't Walk Away"  Hope & the Heart It Breaks  (Self, 12)
*  Diamond Rugs, "Christmas In a Chinese Restaurant"  Diamond Rugs  (Partisan, 12)
*  Kacey Musgraves, "Merry Go Round"  internet single  (Universal, 12)   D
^  Fiction Family, "Just Rob Me"  Reunion  (Rock Ridge, 13)   D
*  Broken Spoke, "Thieves In the Temple"  Broken Spoke  (Self, 11)
*  Delicate Cutters, "Backup Plan"  Ring  (Skybucket, 12)
*  Rachel Brooke, "Only For You"  Killer's Dream  (Mal, 12)
*  Chuck Mead, "Will Santa Come to Shanty Town"  internet single  (Plowboy, 12)   D
*  BR5-49, "Christmas Song"  To Kate: a Benefit  (Western Beat, 05)
*  Lilly Hiatt, "Championship Fighter"  Let Down  (Normaltown, 12)
*  Yawpers, "Mother"  Capon Crusade  (Self, 12)
*  Cahalen Morrison & Eli West, "Church St Blues"  Our Lady of the Tall Trees  (Self, 12)
*  Whitehorse, "Devil's Got a Gun"  Fate of the World Depends On This Kiss  (Six Shooter, 12)
*  Al Anderson, "Someone To Give My Love To"  Touch My Heart  (Sugar Hill, 04)

No comments: