Sunday, December 22, 2013

ROUTES & BRANCHES
featuring the very best of americana, alt.country and roots music
December 21, 2013
Scott Foley

This Episode, I pulled together my yearly, award winning R&B-mas Show (suitable for framing), featuring new stuff from the likes of Reckless Kelly, Rhett Miller and Paul Thorn.  It wasn't an award-winning year for new holiday music, all-in-all.  In years past, I've scoured unmentionable corners of the interwebs for new and obscure seasonal offerings.  For some reason, this year's expotitions yielded little beyond sore knees and a vague sense of guilt. 

For those wondering where my kids were - typically, the best part of my holiday shows - you'll have to wait for my Monday Mix show (1-3pm MT).  Even then, I'll only have 1/3 of my progeny in tow, since Madeleine and Logan are both working (I remember my first attempt at bringing them on air at KRVM in Eugene, OR.  I kept having to remind Gabe not to chew on the headphones.  I don't have to do that as much now that he's 15).  Madeleine and Logan will be sending Gabe as their emissary, with a song and a note from each.  I'll be there, too. 

Next Saturday begins the season of list-o-rama for me, launching forth with my favorite americana music of 2013.  Note to self: Finish favorites list.  I believe this will mark the latest I've ever waited to unveil my selections, giving me the advantage of seeing everyone else's list (and second guessing putting something on there that absolutely nobody else has so much as mentioned).  On the less positive side, I can look like a bandwagon jumper by echoing the choices of other bloggers.  I hope to land somewhere in between, like a poseur with some curious side-interests. 

In the meantime, please enjoy this list of songs.  I'd remind you again of the wonder that is DARfm, where you can record shows broadcast online for later listening.  This way, you don't have to carry your computer into the bath with you ... 

Happy and merry,
Scott

*  Catherine MacLellan, "Snowbird"  Snowbird: Songs of Gene MacLellan  (True North, 13)  D
*  Blackstone Valley Sinners, "Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day"  Cold Hard Truth About Christmas  (Valley, 03)  C
*  Robert Earl Keen, "Merry Christmas From the Family"  Gringo Honeymoon  (Sugar Hill, 94)
*  Mojo Nixon, "It's Christmas Time"  Horny Holidays!  (Triple X, 92)
*  Emmylou Harris, "Angel Eyes"  Light of the Stable  (Rhino, 92)
*  Paul Thorn, "That's Not Why We're Here"  single  (Perpetual Obscurity, 13)  D
*  Nick Lowe, "Christmas At the Airport"  Quality Street  (Yep Roc, 13)
*  Reckless Kelly, "Lonesome Little Cowboy"  Holiday Haam Jam Vol 3  (HAAM, 13)  D
*  Dwight Yoakam, "I'll Be Home For Christmas"  Come on Christmas  (Reprise 97)
*  Cotton Jones, "Go Tell It On the Mountain"  Walker In a Winter Wonderland  (Pink Smoke, 13)  D
*  Over the Rhine, "Here It Is"  Snow Angels  (Great Speckled Dog, 07)
*  Asylum St Spankers, "Red Nosed Reindeer Blues"  Christmas Spanking  (Yellow Dog, 01)
*  Rosie Flores, "Christmas Every Day"  Christmasville  (Durango Rose, 05)
*  Court Yard Hounds, "Bom Bom Bom"  single  (Columbia, 13)  D
*  Wood & Wire, "White Christmas"  White Christmas  (self, 13)  D
*  Jesse Winchester, "Let's Make a Baby King"  Humour Me  (Sugar Hill, 88)
*  Mindy Smith, "Tomorrow Is Christmas Day"  Snowed In  (Giant Leap, 13)  D
*  Lyle Lovett, "Christmas Morning"  Road to Ensenada  (MCA, 96)
*  Phil Lee, "(I Wanna Spend My) Christmas Time With You"  Yuletide From the Other Side  (Red Beet, 07)
*  Laura Gibson, "Silver Bells"  Walker In a Winter Wonderland  (Pink Smoke, 13)
*  Dale Watson, "Mistletoe on Death Row"  Angels Sing  (Thirty3anda3rd, 13)  D
*  Heartless Bastards, "Blue Christmas"  Holidays Rule  (Hear, 12)
*  Ronnie Fauss, "Everybody Deserves a Merry Christmas"  single  (Self, 12)
*  Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison, "Santa Looked a Lot Like Daddy"  Happy Holidays  (Ryko, 06)
*  Rhett Miller, "Christmas Is Coming"  single  (Self, 13)  D
*  Rev Horton Heat, "What Child Is This"  We Three Kings  (YepRoc, 05)
*  Jerry Jeff Walker, "Walking In a Winter Wonderland"  Christmas Gonzo Style  (Ryko, 94)
*  Jimmy LaFave, "White Christmas"  White Christmas  (Music Road, 13)  D
*  Steve Earle & Allison Moorer, "Nothing But a Child"  to: Kate  (Western Beast, 05)

No comments: