Tuesday, December 04, 2018

ROUTES & BRANCHES  
featuring the very best of americana, alt.country and roots music
December 4, 2018
Scott Foley, purveyor of dust

A couple weeks ago, we paid a visit with some of the artists who have helped define 2018 for us at Routes & Branches.  We asked them to kindly present us with a few records that especially inspired them this year.

Adam Remnant came through especially strong, sending his own reflections on five artists that wowed him.  You'll recall that Remnant served as singer and guitarist for Ohio's Southeast Engine for a number of years.  He released his first full-length solo CD, the excellent Sourwood collection, back in August - an album that's been in the running for my own year-end favorites list (see it right here next week!).

Rather than try to shoehorn Adam's picks into another busy Episode, I thought we could just devote a rare midweek piece to his generous writing.  Almost all of these artists have received some degree of play here on R&B.  But Adam highlights the reason it's fun to share this sort of information.  You never know what you might pick up on that could make a difference in your days.  Thanks, Adam!

* * * * * * *

Anna Tivel - Small Believer (Fluff & Gravy)
This album technically came out in 2017, but I've listened to it more than any other record this year. I'm always on the hunt for songs that make we want to listen over and over, and Anna Tivel delivers on this record. I heard the haunting opening track 'Illinois' on the local college radio station and waited for the deejay to name the artist during the break. I immediately sought out the album and fell in love with this record. Tivel writes some of the best lyrics I have heard in recent years. She has a new album on the horizon, which I'm highly anticipating as well. 

William Matheny - Moon Over Kenova EP / "Christian Name" single (Misra)
William played keyboards in my old band, Southeast Engine, so we go way back. I consider him a great friend and a great songwriter. I had the pleasure to hear him workshop the songs that became his solo debut, Strange Constellations. His songwriting continues  to astound me on the songs comprising the Moon Over Kenova EP and the "Christian Name" single. William is tough to categorize, but to my mind he's a perfect mix of Warren Zevon, Hank Williams, and Elvis Costello. The songs are familiar and literary in a way that surprisingly surprises you. Highly recommended.

Anna & Elizabeth - The Invisible Comes to Us (Smithsonian)
I got really into old-time music this year. I've played a little clawhammer banjo for a while, but never took it too seriously. I got inspired this year by old-time fiddle tunes and have started learning more and more songs on the banjo to hopefully keep up in an old-time jam. I think Anna & Elizabeth are partly responsible for my renewed interest in the music. They find beautiful old folks songs passed down through generations and perform them in new inventive ways. I work at an after-school music program via Stuart's Opera House in Nelsonville, Ohio, and they kindly visited us and worked with our students. They inspired the students and us educators alike. Their live performance that evening at Stuart's Opera House was also one of the few live shows I've witnessed in my life that challenged me to go deeper with my own music.

St. Lenox - Ten Fables of Young Ambition and Passionate Love (Anyway)
My new album, Sourwood, came out on Anyway Records. One of the reasons I was excited to be part of the Anyway family was to be label mates with St. Lenox. I first discovered St. Lenox a couple years back after catching a set at an anniversary show for the label. Andrew Choi is the man behind the moniker, and he writes these amazingly heartfelt pop songs full of great lyrical details that keep me coming back with each album. He self-records his music and produces his own music videos as well, which I highly recommend checking out - each one is particularly poignant. I've learned a lot from his DIY spirit when approaching my own work. 

Jerry David DeCicca - Time the Teacher / Burning Daylight  (Impossible Ark/Super Secret)
I did a tour with Jerry about 7 years ago playing living rooms through the midwest and east coast. Jerry has a huge love and knowledge of music. I've discovered at least a dozen records through his good guidance. I've been a fan of his writing and music since his days with his previous band, The Black Swans. He somehow managed to release 2 albums this year, and I'm continuing to learn from him with each of these new efforts. The title track on Time the Teacher is a great introduction to Jerry's work, which manages to sound both classic and experimental. 

No comments: