featuring the very best of americana, alt.country and roots music
October 9, 2026
Scott Foley, purveyor of dust
WHAT's SO GREAT ABOUT THiS WEEK?!!
^Star Moles, "Born Again" single (Dead Oceans, 26)
We really didn't represent Emily Moales' Highway To Hell sufficiently upon its February release. This follow-up single arrives as the songwriter comes on board with the Dead Oceans label. Of the song, Moales notes it's a painting of real frustration, and the best way I can express that feeling is with a strong voice and words that mythologize. I wouldn't say I'm religious, but I think sometimes my emotions are.
--------------------------
Anna McClellan, "Drank Earlier" South Of Dodge EP (Exploding In Sound, Nov 20)
Originally from Nebraska, McClellan provided backup vocals on Greg Freeman's remarkable new record. Now in New York, she has announced her second EP of the year - almost be easier just to assemble everything into an LP as god intended. A sweet and seemingly simple number, "Drank" features everything from a flute and low brass to a pitch perfect jangle guitar.
--------------------------
Lowest Pair, "What I Think About When I Sing About Running" single (Delicata, 26)
The PNW duo of Kendl Winter and Palmer T Lee released Always As Young As We'll Ever Be way back in January. This new single repeats that record's title, the pair's voices weaving and twining beautifully above acoustic instrumentation that never wears out its welcome. Long as we have your attention, you might want to check out Kendl Winter's lovely 2018 Stumbler's Business.
--------------------------
Twisted Teens, "Stalks" Holy Cross Tigers (Sub Pop, Nov 6)
Yeah, we're not going to let this one get away. While we've featured just about every Twisted Teens single this year (and there have been plenty), that's more of a comment on the quality of the duo's prolific output as opposed to a result of our lack of imagination. Like most of their output, the video for "Stalks" hits like it was recorded off a late-night public access TV broadcast.
--------------------------
Iconic Fugues, "2025 Dream / 2025 Blues" single (L'Arme, 26)
Finally, it's a new project/band from Andrew Savage of Parquet Courts. Actually, it's two songs jammed together, sounding a bit like a younger Bill Callahan fronting ... well, Parquet Courts. Please watch your step as you enter the stream-of-consciousness: I recognize everything / From the coin-colored carpet / To the little room I slept in / Where I once found a scorpion / Oh its tail had a lilt / Just like a drunk with a pocketknife.
--------------------------

No comments:
Post a Comment