Sunday, December 13, 2009


THURSDAY MORNING MIX
December 10, 2009 Scott Foley

Favorite Americana, Alt.Country and Roots Music Songs For 2009

1. Cory Chisel & the Wandering Sons, "Born Again" Death Won't Send a Letter (RCA, 9/09)
2. Ryan Bingham, "Dylan's Hard Rain" Roadhouse Sun (Lost Hwy, 6/09)
3. Radney Foster, "A Little Revival" Revival (Devil's River, 10/09)
4. Sons of Bill, "Broken Bottles" One Town Away (Gray Fox, 6/09)
5. Slaid Cleaves, "Hard to Believe" Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away (Music Rd, 4/09)
6. Son Volt, "Down to the Wire" American Central Dust (Rounder, 7/09)
7. Two Tons of Steel, "Cryin' Eyes" Not That Lucky (Smith, 8/09)
8. Dave Rawlings Machine, "Ruby" Friend of a Friend (Acony, 11/09)
9. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, "I Am Goodbye" Beware (Drag City, 3/09)
10. Amy Speace, "Killer in Me" Killer in Me (Wildflower, 9/09)
11. Samantha Crain & the Midnight Shivers, "Songs in the Night" Songs in the Night (Ramseur, 4/09)
12. Felice Brothers, "Run Chicken Run" Yonder is the Clock (Team Love, 4/09)
13. Avett Brothers, "Laundry Room" I and Love and You (Columbia, 9/09)
14. Brandi Carlile, "Caroline" Give Up the Ghost (Sony, 11/09)
15. Devil Makes Three, "For Good Again" Do Wrong Right (Milan, 4/09)
16. Flatlanders, "The Way We Are" Hills and Valleys (New West, 3/09)
17. Guy Clark, "Maybe I Can Paint Over That" Somedays the Song Writes You (Dualtone, 9/09)
18. Neko Case, "Don't Forget Me" Middle Cyclone (Anti, 2/09)
19. Diana Jones, "Better Times Will Come" Better Times Will Come (Proper, 09)
20. Those Darlins, "Wild One" Those Darlins (Ow Wow Dang, 6/09)

As always, it's been a challenge and a pleasure to assemble my favorite songs list for the year. The challenge came primarily from my basement computer, where I scheme in preparation for each TMM Episode. As soon as I returned home from airing my list, it became clear that my computer had contacted a serious virus. Therefore, I compose this in my teenage daughter's room, surrounded by a heap of clothes, leftover detritus from her childhood, and a wall collaged with picture of the Beatles, the Who and the Ramones. She told me I could use her computer.

The pleasure, on the other hand, comes from setting the proverbial needle down on the dozens of newly arrived CDs, completely open and free of expectation for what might happen next. I hadn't had the pleasure of hearing most of these songs this time last year. If I'm not mistaken, only Samantha Crain's album reached my desk before the clock struck 2009. My year is made richer for having heard each tune.

As usual, I am eager to pore over other lists made by djs, bloggers and friends, and would welcome any submissions shared via my own site. The next few Episodes of TMM will be liberally peppered with seasonal offerings, familiar and otherwise. On Christmas Eve morning, my three children will join my in the studio with their own handpicked holiday songs, as they did last Christmas morning. And on Thursday, December 31, I will unleash a list of my favorite americana, alt.country and roots music albums for 2009.

Scott

No comments: