Thursday, July 22, 2010


THURSDAY MORNING MIX
July 22, 2010
Scott Foley

I like the guys in Chase Fifty Six. I like the fact that they responded so promptly to my emailed request for a copy of their new Allatoona Rising CD after I discovered it via a post on the Nine Bullets weblog. I like the fact that, minutes after I debuted the excellent song "Mary Jane" on TMM, they shot me an email of gratitude. Jeez. They even posted fifty-five seconds of today's show on their website and their MySpace. More than that, I like the fact that Chase Fifty Six make good music.

I can't imagine Train would do the same if I were to become the three-thousandth terrestrial show to give their "Hey Soul Sister" some radio love. 'Course, I know better than to go there.

Just one of the reasons why focusing on our kind of music is still enjoyable and rewarding, even in a time when so much else is becoming less and less personable. I only wish the guys from Chase Fifty Six would've applied some digital magic to make me sound less like a fumbling dork on their radio capture ...

Not that I've ever heard any thanks from Emmylou for playing her music. Or Elizabeth Cook. Wouldn't mind hearing from Elizabeth Cook ...

"The drought is over. The lakes are rising. The shack is hot, sweaty, cramped and loud. But there’s always room for one more.

Come on in."


* Dave Gleason, "The San Joaquin" Turn and Fade (326 Records, 10)
* Derailers, "Genuine" Genuine (Lucky Dog, 03)
* Gordie Tentrees, "Alfred" Mercy or Sin (Self, 10)
* Elizabeth Cook, "All the Time" Welder (31 Tigers, 10)
* Mavis Staples, "You Are Not Alone" You Are Not Alone (Anti, 10)
* Billy Bragg & Wilco, "Hoodoo Voodoo" Mermaid Avenue (Elektra, 98)
^ Chase Fifty Six, "Mary Jane" Allatoona Rising (Dirt Leg, 10)
* Bobby Bare Jr, "Sad Smile" A Storm A Tree My Mother's Head (Naked Albino, 10)
* Elliott BROOD, "Second Son" Ambassador (Six Shooter, 05)
* Calexico, "Crystal Frontier (live)" Live in Nuremberg (Quarterstick, 10)
* Mike & Ruthy, "Who's Who" Million to One (Humble Abode, 10)
* Peter Case, "Somebody Told the Truth" Wig! (Yep Roc, 10)
* Jimmy Webb w/Mark Knopfler, "Highwayman" Just Across the River (E1, 10)
* Mumford & Sons, "White Blank Page" Sigh No More (Self, 10)
* Anne McCue, "Broken Promise Land" Broken Promise Land (Flying Machine, 10)
* Rose' Pawn Shop, "Dancing on the Gallows" Dancing on the Gallows (Self, 10)
* Scott H Biram, "Wreck My Car" Dirty Old One Man Band (Bloodshot, 05)
* Blue Giant, "Blue Sunshine" Blue Giant (Vanguard, 10)
* Frazey Ford, "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" Obadiah (Nettwerk, 10)
* Paul Thorn, "Weeds in My Roses" Pimps and Preachers (Perpetual Obscurity, 10)
* Emmylou Harris, "Wheels" Elite Hotel (Reprise, 75)
* Mountain Men, "How'm I Doin'" Made the Harbor (Parisan, 10)
* Robin Pecknold, "Be Yourself" Be Yourself (Grass Roots, 10)
* Jim Lauderdale, "Good Together" Patchwork River (New West, 10)
* Amelia Curran, "The Dozens" Hunter Hunter (Six Shooter, 10)
* Mat D, "Ribbon of Dirt" Plank Road Drag (Self, 10)
* Jimmie Dale Gilmore, "Thinking About You" Spinning Around the Sun (Elektra, 93)

No comments: