Saturday, July 10, 2010


THURSDAY MORNING MIX
July 8, 2010
Scott Foley

My hard drive collapsed this week, disproving my theory that I could function independently of my laptop. My weekly habit is to store up songs and downloads for the week, then burn a CD the morning of TMM. To my knowledge, they're still there, dormant, awaiting their wake-up call on my ineffective hard drive.

Which doesn't mean that I didn't offer anything new on this Episode. I sat on Frontier Ruckus for quite some time (I don't really know why), but unleashed it here, as well as a nice new Luke Doucet (which does an impressive job of being an americana tribute to Ian Curtis that sounds a bit like a rootsy Joy Division). I didn't take immediate radio action on Delta Spirit for a couple weeks, either, but really enjoy their sound. Props to anyone who can come up with an effective name for the sort of indie rock/alt.country racket played by folks such as these (and Blitzen Trapper, et al.). My best effort so far: Neck-beard rock ...

Thursday Morning Mix: Featuring the best of americana, alt.country, roots music and neck-beard rock.


* Honeycutters, "On My Mind" Irene (Buttons Down, 09)
* Tallest Man on Earth, "Drying of the Lawns" Wild Hunt (Dead Oceans, 10)
* Becky Schlegel, "Colorado Line" Dandelion (IGO, 10)
* Mystiqueros, "You've Got a Way" Agave (Blue Boot, 10)
* Dave Gleason, "Turn and Fade" Turn and Fade (326 Records, 10)
* Townes Van Zandt, "Tecumseh Valley" For the Sake of the Song (Rhino, 68)
* Frontier Ruckus, "Nerves of the Nightmind" Deadmalls & Nightfalls (Ramseur, 10)
* Chatham County Line, "Ghost of Woody Guthrie" Wildwood (YepRoc, 10)
* Fred Eaglesmith, "Careless" Cha Cha Cha (Lonesome Day, 10)
* Les Sampou, "My My My" Lonesomeville (Self, 10)
* Dovekins, "Golden Pennies" Assemble the Aviary (Self, 10)
* Boxmasters, "Sylvia's Mother" Twistable Turnable Man (Sugar Hill, 10)
* Tom Russell w/Dave Alvin, "Blue Wing (live)" Veteran's Day (Hightone, 08)
* Luke Doucet, "Ballad of Ian Curtis" Steel City Trawler (Six Shooter, 10)
* Eilen Jewell, "Fist City" Butcher Holler: Tribute to Loretta Lynn (Signature Sounds, 10)
* Mike Stinson, "Ashes of a Dream" Jukebox in Your Heart (Stag, 10)
* Sara Petite, "Magnolia" Doghouse Rose (Self, 10)
* Delta Spirit, "Scarecrow" History From Below (Rounder, 10)
* Shinyribs, "East TX Rust" Well After Awhile (Nine Mile, 10)
* Ray Lamontagne, "Beg Steal & Borrow" God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise (RCA, 10)
* Amelia Curran, "Hands On a Grain of Sand" Hunter Hunter (Six Shooter, 10)
* Marah, "Broke Down Wagon" Life is a Problem (Valley Farm, 10)
* Nora Jane Struthers, "Greenbriar County" Nora Jane Struthers (Blue Pig, 10)
* Paul Thorn, "I Don't Like Half the Folks I Love" Pimps and Preachers (Perpetual Obscurity, 10)
* Kevin Welch, "Midnight and Noon" Patch of blue Sky (Music Road, 10)
* John Henrys, "Stars Align" White Linen (9lb, 10)
* John Mellencamp, "Coming Down the Road" No Better Than This (Rounder, 10)


No comments: