Tuesday, November 08, 2011

ROUTES & BRANCHES
November 5, 2011
Scott Foley

No fewer than four (4) hours of no-repeat americana nourishment on this week's Episode.  While I'm no mathematician, I believe that's fifty-four (54) quality tunes for your Saturday afternoon and evening listening pleasure.  And I still didn't get to everything I had hoped to air. 

Especially pleased with so much recent, quality Colorado music, including very strong efforts by The Ghost of Michael Clark and You Me & Apollo.  And Lizzie Huffman.  Um ... and Ashley Raines, too.  I had a dream a couple nights ago that I was arguing with another programmer that Oregon had a stronger music scene than Our Square State.  I remember commenting wittily in my dream that somewhere in Rhode Island, there is likely a radio program called The Rhode Island Sound.  Everybody's got to come from somewhere ...  I'm just pleased to be able to devote one-ninth of this Episode to fine CO music, without compromise.

Speaking of the Minnesota Sound ...  while I've entered at least a couple albums from Pert Near Sandstone into the library over the years, I don't know that I've ever deliberately aired one until now.  Were my musical standards too high?  Was I simply waiting for the band to mature a bit in the songwriting department, perhaps?  Sadly, no.  I just didn't like the band's name (which doesn't explain how a track from Doop & the Inside Outlaws landed on my playlist).  Now that I've matured a bit, I beg Pert Near Sandstone's generous pardon, especially after a fine effort like their new Paradise Hop.  Is there something in those 1000 Lakes that makes Minnesotans so fond of bluegrass played loud-n-fast, a'la Duluth's Trampled By Turtles?  With banjo, fiddle and guitar just this side of in-tune, and harmonies careening recklessly off the tracks, you might even liken Pert Near Sandstone to the early Avetts. 

Next Saturday, we're back to jamming as much of this great stuff into two too-short hours as we're able.  Which makes me reach into my pocket to see if I've saved up enough yet to create that all-americana radio station I dream about (when I'm not dreaming about Colorado music ...).  $4.27 ... well, it's a start.

* Lucero, "That Much Further West"  That Much Further West  (Tiger Style, 03)
* Joe Henry, "Odetta"  Reverie  (Anti, 11)
* Ashley Raines & New West Revue, "Crops Don't Rise"  One Trick Mule  (Idiom, 11)
* Catherine MacLellan, "Stealin'"  Silhouette  (True North, 11)
* Jakob Dylan, "Oh Mama Come Home"  Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams  (Columbia, 11)
* Ryan Adams, "Ashes & Fire"  Ashes & Fire  (Lost Hwy, 11)
^  Pert Near Sandstone, "Long Decline"  Paradise Hop  (PNS, 11)
* Fred Eaglesmith, "49 Tons"  Drive-In Movie  (Vertical, 95)
* Deep Dark Woods, "Back Alley Blues"  Place I Left Behind  (Sugar Hill, 11)
* Lizzie Huffman, "Drunken Mess"  Pretty Old Soul  (Suburban Home, 11)
* John Doe, "Walking Out the Door"  Keeper  (Yep Roc, 11)
* Gourds, "I Want It So Bad"  Old Mad Joy  (Vanguard, 11)
* Kathleen Edwards, "Empty Threat"  Voyageur  (Rounder, 11)
* Los Lobos, "Valley"  Town & the City  (Mammoth, 06)
* Honey Honey, "Angel of Death"  Billy Jack  (Lost Hwy, 11)
* R Mutt, "Beautiful Bad Day"  Leash On Life  (Self, 11)
* Danny Barnes, "Wine"  Rocket  (ATO, 11)
* V-Roys, "Sooner Or Later"  Sooner Or Later  (FAY, 11)
* Nikki Lane, "I Can't Be Satisfied"  Walk Of Shame  (I Am Bound, 11)
* Ghost of Michael Clark, "Thunder & Light"  Bound To Break  (Blank Tape, 11)
* Jayhawks, "Stand Out In the Rain"  Mockingbird Time  (Rounder, 11)
* Wood Brothers, "Mary Anna"  Smoke Ring Halo  (Self, 11)
* Deer Tick, "The Bump"  Divine Providence  (Partisan, 11)
* Patterson Hood, "I Understand Now"  Murdering Oscar  (Ruth St, 09)
* Hoots & Hellmouth, "Lay Low"  Salt  (Self, 11)
* Devil Makes Three, "Never Learn (live)"  Stomp and Smash  (Milan, 11)
* Ry Cooder, "Quick Sand"  Pull Up Some Dust & Sit Down  (Nonesuch, 11)
* Have Gun Will Travel, "13 Miles To Empty"  Mergers & Acquisitions  (Suburban Home, 11)
* Pieta Brown, "I Want It Back"  Mercury  (Red House, 11)
* Wailin' Jennys, "Some Good Thing"  Firecracker  (Red House, 06)
* You Me & Apollo, "Ink On Paper"  Cards With Cheats  (Self, 11)
* Tom Waits, "Face To the Highway"  Bad As Me  (Anti, 11)
* Chuck Prophet, "Castro Halloween"  Temple Beautiful  (tbd, 12)
* BR5-49, "Crazy Arms"  BR5-49  (Arista, 96)
* Doop & the Inside Outlaws, "Not Too Late"  What Am I Supposed To Do  (Blood River, 11)
* Blitzen Trapper, "My Home Town"  American Goldwing  (Sub Pop, 11)
* Shelby Lynne, "Revelation Road"  Revelation Road  (Everso, 11)
* Lydia Loveless, "How Many Women"  Indestructible Machine  (Bloodshot, 11)
* Those Darlins, "Wild One"  Those Darlins  (Oh Wow Dang, 09)
* Honey Gitters, "Pork Butchers"  Poor Gitters' Almanack  (Self, 11)
* AA Bondy, "DRMZ"  Believers  (Fat Possum, 11)
* Barnstar, "Cowgirl In the Sand"  C'Mon  (Self, 11)
* Jason Boland & the Stragglers, "Down Here In the Hole"  Rancho Alto  (Proud Souls, 11)
* Scotty Alan, "Ain't Much"  Wreck & the Mess  (Spinout, 11)
* Frank Turner, "Peggy Sang the Blues"  England Keep My Bones  (Epitaph, 11)
* Constitution, "Pesos"  Wrestling With the Daylight  (Self, 11)
* Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Snake Farm"  Snake Farm  (Sustain, 06)
* Girls Guns & Glory, "1000 Times"  Sweet Nothings  (Lonesome Day, 11)
* Brigitte Demeyer, "Amen Said the Deacon"  Rose Of Jericho  (Self, 11)
* Rev John Delore, "North Georgia Fog"  Little John the Conqueror  (Norlantic, 11)
* Eilen Jewell, "Santa Fe"  Queen Of the Minor Key  (Signature Sounds, 11)
* Robert Plant, "House Of Cards"  Band Of Joy  (Rounder, 10)
* Felice Brothers, "Wonderful Life"  Felice Brothers  (Team Love, 08)
* Jason Webly, "Almost Time"  Cost Of Living  (11 Records, 08)

No comments: