Thursday, January 15, 2009


THURSDAY MORNING MIX
January 15, 2008
Scott Foley


Had a silent, special guests in studio this morning. Colorado Sound host Chris K had stopped by, in town for the day with some free time to kill. While he calls almost every Thursday, I'd only met Chris K face-to-face one time previous to this, and then very briefly during my first visit to KRFC.

One of our recurring discussions is about the responsibility of a programmer with regards to offering up a modicum of "hits" along with new and lesser known artists. Fact is, there are a paltry few veritable hits in the realms of americana, alt.country and roots music, and I freely admit to wallowing in relative obscurity for a good share of the TMM.

If I'm actually ever paid for my services, I'd certainly be open to skewing the majority my Mix in the direction of the Lucindas, the Earles and the Hiatts of our genre. For today, however, while I can't help but keep various folks in mind while I assemble a show, my own happiness is my foremost barometer. I just want to have a good time, period.

In the end, I believe it's my responsibility to both reflect and project. I intend for TMM to reflect the current state of americana music, to remain relevant in light of national charts, trends, etc. I also intend to project our attention beyond the mainstream, into the darker corners where good music also hides. It's the only way an artist (like Boris McCutcheon or Stephanie Chapman, for instance) will ever be more than a regional entity.


* Steve Earle, "Christmas In Washington" El Corazon (Warner, 97)
* Diana Jones, "Pony" My Remembrance Of You (New Song, 06)
* Boris McCutcheon & Saltlicks, "Ballad Of Rusty Strange" Bad Road Good People (Frogville, 08)
* Over the Rhine, "Ohio" Ohio (Back Porch, 03)
* Beausoleil, "I Spent All My Money Loving You" Alligator Purse (YepRoc, 09)
* Laura Cantrell, "Too Late For Tonight" When the Roses Bloom Again (Diesel Only)
* Hayes Carll, "Beaumont" Trouble In Mind (Lost Highway, 08)
* Hayes Carll, "Drunken Poet's Dream" Trouble In Mind (Lost Highway, 08)
* Bruce Robison, "Desperately" His Greatest (Premium, 09)
* Patty Loveless w/Vince Gill, "Sleepless Nights" Sleepless Nights (Saguaro, 08)
* Tony Furtado, "Lighten Up Your Load" Deep Water (Funzalo, 09)
* Gourds, "All the Way To Jericho" Haymaker! (YepRoc, 09)
* Stephanie Chapman, "Steely Dan" This Song Is To You (Pain In the Art, 08)
* Elizabeth Cook w/Bobby Bare Jr, "Rest Your Weary Mind" Balls (31 Tigers, 07)
* Gabe Dixon w/Mindy Smith, "Further the Sky" Gabe Dixon Band (Fantasy, 08)
* Subdudes, "Poorman's Paradise (live)" Live At the Ram's Head (Biograhica, 09)
* Mary Gauthier, "Please" Between Daylight & Dark (Lost Highway, 07)
* Reckless Kelly, "Think It Over One Time (live)" Undone: MusicFest Tribute To Robert Earl Keen (Right Ave, 09)
* Mark Olson & Gary Louris, "Doves & Stones" Ready For the Flood (New West, 09)
* Rhythm Angels, "29 Ways" Girls Like Us (High Horse, 09)
* Jim Lauderdale w/Donna the Buffalo, "Ginger Peach" Wait 'Til Spring (Dualtone, 03)
* Derek Trucks, "Sweet Inspiration" Already Free (Victor, 09)
* Be Good Tanyas, "When Doves Cry" Hello Love (Nettwerk, 06)
* Gurf Morlix, "She's a River" Last Exit To Happyland (self, 09)
* Tallest Man On Earth, "I Won't Be Found" Shallow Grave (Mexican Summer, 08)
* Chatham County Line, "Chip Of a Star" IV (YepRoc, 08)
* Jim Avett & Family, "Keep On the Sunny Side" Jim Avett & Family (Ramsuer, 08)

Scott

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scott, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your musical taste and selections from outside of the mainstream. While I am almost always working by the midpoint of your show and can't give the music my complete attention, I can always learn something new when I'm paying attention. If I'm not paying attention I still enjoy listening. So, as if you need my encouragement, keep on keepin' on in your wonderful americana rogue style!