Thursday, March 28, 2013

ROUTES & BRANCHES
March  23, 2013
Scott Foley

Boy, I sure can procrastinate posting these playlists, can't I?!  While I do value having your eyes on this page, if I'm ever too busy brushing the dogs' teeth to post my shows in a prompt fashion, please remember that I actually log them in real time at KRFC's website. 

Owing to half a foot of spring snow, our rendezvous with Paper Bird was postponed.  Instead, singer-songwriter Seth Glier and his amazing sideman Joe Nerney (add Joe to your list of blind recorder players, please) braved the elements to join me during the first half-hour of the show.  

Other than that, it's business as usual on this Episode.  I've been fascinated with the bare bones music of Charlie Parr since I first came across an album the Minnesota songwriter recorded with the Black Twig Pickers.  Like nearly every other artists I play on R&B, Parr was drawn to punk during his childhood.  Adulthood brought him back, however, to the music of his father's collection, "The newest music my dad listened to was Johnny Cash".  Akin to Otis Gibbs or William Elliott Whitmore, there is a purity and an aggression to Parr's deceptively simple folksongs.  Finishing an album, you get the sense that there's a lifetime of fascinating stories behind the tunes. There is even a documentary about Charlie Parr in the funding stages. 

If your calendar has a free spot on the evening of Saturday, April 6, you have no excuse but to join us as we celebrate KRFC's 10th Anniversary at the Sunset Events Center in Fort Collins.  Sure, Great American Taxi, Mama Lenny & the Remedy and Michael Kirkpatrick will be performing, but even more importantly, you'll be allowing your favorite radio show to prosper.  Plus, I'll be there in all my awkward glory, checking my watch (I don't wear one) and circling the catering tables.  If you haven't met me in person, boy are you in for a treat ...  Finally, as part of our silent auction, I'll contribute a beautifully appointed basket of CDs as heard on Routes & Branches for your bidding pleasure. 

*  Tom Gillam, "Put Me In the Ground"  Good For You  (Great Tone, 13)
*  Howlin' Brothers, "My Dog Can't Bark"  Howl  (Readymade, 13)
*  Max Gomez, "Ball and Chain"  Rule the World  (New West, 13)
*  Ana Egge, "Hole In Your Halo"  Bad Blood  (Ammal, 11)
*  Adam Klein, "In a Southern Way"  Sky Blue DeVille  (Cowboy Angel, 13)
*  Black Lillies, "Gold and Roses"  Runaway Freeway Blues  (Self, 13)   D
*  Esther Sparks & Whiskey Remedy, "Back To Life"  single  (Round Barn, 13)
*  Wrinkle Neck Mules, "Liza"  Pull the Brake  (Shut Eye, 06)
*  Bow Thayer, "Inside Joke"  Eden  (Tweed River, 13)
*  Magnolia Electric Co., "Hammer Down"  What Comes After the Blues  (Secretly Canadian, 05)
*  Lucinda Williams, "This Old Guitar"  The Music Is You: Tribute to John Denver  (ATO, 13)
*  Caitlin Rose "Silver Sings"  Stand-In  (ATO, 13)
*  Shinyribs, "Take Me Lake Charles"  Gulf Coast Museum  (Nine Mile, 13)  D
*  Steve Earle, "Love's Gonna Blow My Way"  Low Highway  (New West, 13)
*  Ryan Chrys, "This Road Never Ends"  Lick and a Promise  (Self, 13)
*  David Mayfield, "Love Will Only Break Your Heart"  Good Man Down  (Beautywood, 13)  D
*  David Ramirez, "Bad Days"  Rooster  (Self, 13)
*  Maria McKee, "You Gotta Sin To Get Saved"  You Gotta Sin ...  (Geffen, 93)
*  Charlie Parr, "Groundhog Day Blues"  Barnswallow  (Self, 13)   D
*  New American Farmers, "Good & Sober"  Brand New Day  (Barncat, 13)
*  Kacey Musgraves, "Follow Your Arrow"  Same Trailer Different Park  (Mercury, 13)
*  Steel Wheels, "The Race" No More Rain  (Self, 13)   D
*  Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside, "They Told Me"  Untamed Beast  (Partisan, 13)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out The wild feathers